Meet with Legislators During the August Congressional Recess
OAMES and the American Association for Homecare, the HME industry's advocacy voice on Capitol Hill, encourages providers to use the August recess to connect with elected officials back in the district. With not one, but two industry bills introduced in Congress, never before is your outreach more important. These legislative initiatives address two of the industry's most critical issues -- the most harmful elements of the DME bid program and Medicare audit reform .
Your Congressional representatives will be closer to home during the upcoming recess period running from Aug. 1 to Sept. 8, making for an opportunity to try and meet with them without coming to Washington.* Here are some resources you can use for setting up these meetings, and making your case with your representatives and their staff on key issues.
- Issue Brief: HR 4920/binding bids – current cosponsor list
- Issue Brief: HR 5083/audit reform – current cosponsor list
- More detail on the audit issue is available at fixmedicareaudits.org
- Tips on effective meetings with your Congressional representatives
- Use the AAHomecare Action Center to quickly send a letter to your legislators in support of key legislative priorities and find to contact information for their offices.
Need additional assistance setting up meetings? Email Kam Yuricich at firstname.lastname@example.org or Gordon Barnes at email@example.com for with your questions and requests. Please send reports on how your meetings went, so we can follow up with legislators in DC in September, as needed.
Thanks to all of the homecare advocates who are going the extra mile to make the case for better policies for the HME sector!